Monday, April 8, 2013

It's real

As we flew into the coast of Haiti this afternoon, I could already see glimpses from above of the devastation and poverty we would soon drive and walk admist. This being my first mission trip, I thought the first real-life, up-close and personal sights, sounds and smells would be more surreal. But it actually felt like I walked straight into a Compassion, or a similar organization's, promotional video and now I'm just doing life with different people and surroundings. Walking around the neighborhood of the guest house that we call home this week, the children that ran out and walked with us seemed like any other child, desiring our attention and affection. It was so natural to hold their hand and try to talk with them (I wish I remembered some French from HS). As we got settled in to the house after a wonderful dinner and spontaneous worship time around the table, I feel like I'm at summer camp! This is going to be a great week. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

I will end with something my mom shared with me from a biography of John Newton that he had written to Wilberforce...

You are not only a representative of Yorkshire, you have the far greater honor of being a representative for the Lord in a place where many know Him not, and an opportunity of showing them what are the genuine fruits of that religion that you are known to profess.

Praying that God will use us to represent and share Him well!

No comments:

Post a Comment