Friday, January 14, 2011

A Two for One ! June 13th & 14th


Okay so here is the thing… I have read Amy’s. Kerry-Ann’s, and Mary’s blogs and they are filled with wise words and catchy phrases. But I am sorry if you are reading my blog I type how I talk and I just so happen to be a babbler. Also, I am two days behind on this blog so I will have to inform you about all my crazy adventures in one. Yay I love two-for-one!

Yesterday we started off with going to a school Healing Haiti sponsors and it was a three-story building that teaches primary and secondary school. We handed out toys and necklaces to all of them. The school was filled with kids from Cite Soliel; surprisingly from what we saw the first day with the water truck, the kids looked well groomed and the school was very nice. Normally these kids would not be able to attend school, but because Healing Haiti pays for the salaries of the teachers, the children can go there for free. Then we went to the mass gravesite from the earthquake. The only word to describe that was: Speechless. I was just in ‘aw’ the whole time. After that we went to Grace village, the village that Jeff is building on top of Titanyen. It is B-E-A-uuuuu-tiful. I can’t wait to see how it will be when it is finished. Phase One is going to be an orphanage, and a food center that will feed local kids on the street. Healing Haiti also envisions building a church on the site to reach out to all the people surrounding it, but for now they will hold service where the feeding center is. Last, we went to Guilluame’s Orphanage. When we pulled up all the little kids were in a circle singing. Their voices were outstanding, and man do those kids know how to pray. We did rock painting that soon led to painting a colorful and artistic mural on the wall. You know even though the people that will have to clean that up will be mad( and I feel horrible), it really gave the orphanage character.

So mother I was thinking… the little boys need friends right? Oh my word did I fall in love with these two twin girls. They were gorgeous and so delicate. They just wanted to be held and loved. I want to adopt them too. So then I was talking to Noelle and five kids that have two aunts sounds like a great thing to me!

We finished off the night with watching Alyn’s celebration service. I did not get to meet this amazing woman, but she sure seemed absolutely outstanding. Jeff and her were the package deal because Jeff is one of the most genuine, heart-felt, kid -loving, God-seeking men I know.

Yesterday was one of my favorite days but it felt like the longest day I have had in a while. I got sick at night, but in the morning I felt a lot better.

TODAY!

So today we started off with French toast instead of the usual pancakes. My taste buds thought that that was spunky and liked that. Our first stop was the market. It was on the side of the street in Titanyen. It was a crowded place with people trying to sell vegetables, beans, and second-hand clothes for a living. This market is only on two days out of the week. When you look at the women you see that many of them are older. Some had little pieces of fabric hanging over them for shade and many were sitting on tarps on the ground. What they had in front of them were many of their only possessions and their way of supporting their families. In this market there was a little place that was selling goats. These goats were not like what you would picture them being sold, (having a leash or tie around the neck or let loose to run around in a little area), these goat’s legs were all tied together and they were lying on their side. It was sad and really weird to me.

After this we traveled on foot (and it was really hot out) to see this boy named Jude- John Paul. This boy is truly special. He was a normal regular boy that went to school and everything up until the age of five. Then he started to get seizures and since he couldn’t get his hands on medicine his body shut down and his brain and his body were affected. He is one of those boys in ‘Alyn’s terms’ where instead of asking God ‘Why?’ you need to ask God ‘What are you trying to teach me?’ His boy is currently 18 and he just lays in his bed everyday. His mother sure does love him! We laid our hands over this amazing boy and just asked for his glory. My heart just goes out to him and his family, and he will stay in my prayers. We stopped at a few elderly peoples house and gave them some bags of ‘goodies’ that consisted of hygiene products. We met a lady who was 103 and she lived in a tiny little shack. She was so happy to see us!

The last stop of the day was at Yavonne’s orphanage. It was another orphanage that Healing Haiti sponsors. When we arrived all the little kids ran up to Jeff and gave him so many hugs and loving. It was so cute! They sure do love him. We were greeted with them singing songs. One little girl stepped out and started a song with a solo. I am not kidding you she had a voice of an angel. I truly believe that when you get the goose bumps in situations like this it is the Holy Spirit. Let me tell you the Holy Spirit was all around in that place. When the kids sang I could not hold back and my tears they just kept coming… I don’t know what it was but I know it was God’s presence. For an activity we traced the kids on paper and they painted their traces- much like a ‘flat Stanley.’ Then I set up a beauty parlor and did many girls hair. Before I knew it my hair was being pulled in every direction and I got a lovely ‘free’ hairdo. Oh it was just gorgeous!

Before we left many of them sang solos for us. Even the little three year olds. It was so amazing how all these little kids love to sing. What is even more amazing is how they do it all for the glory of God. I feel so blessed to have met all these kids. On my way out they told me that they will pray for me. They for sure have a permanent spot in my prayers. Haiti as a whole does!

(Through all of these blogs I have found out that Amy might actually be worse at spelling than I am. It is okay though I am not judging! I still love her anyways J J J)

-Alana

No comments:

Post a Comment