Thursday, January 13, 2011

WE WILL NEVER FORGET - 1/13/2011

Today was jammed packed -although we got a lttle slow start it did not really bother me. There is just something about all sitting around a breakfast table together starting a day with the best happy face, high five and/or abstract pancakes. A slow start yet jammed pack and by the end we all were pretty exhausted… and dirty of couse.

One of the stops we made today was the grave site of the mass grave that was created at the time of the earthquake. Yesterday was the 1 Year Anniversary of this horrific event. 232,000 people were killed that day. At least 100,000 of them buried here. There were many crosses and wreaths that were left behind to remember their loved ones.

I know Jeff spoke of being dissatisfied in the site and I understands what he was saying. Think of what great memorial we would of built in the U.S. to remember so many lives lost. I may be wrong about this – forgive me if you strongly disagree – but part of me walked over the site and all I could think of was how all these people got to heaven just a bit quicker. I know how some home how feel closer to our loved ones when we visit the site where they are buried but for some reason I find this a bit odd. While I am in no way wanting to disrespect the remembrance of such a terrific life altering/ world altering event, I just don’t know if the site of the buriel is where I would go to feel closest or even remember my loves ones. Their body or outer shell may be there but they are no longer there at all. (I pray if I were to die people do not remember my ohhh so flawed outer shell but remember my still flawed but forgiven inner being who hopefully represents me a bit better).

It just so happened that this site was just on the way to GRACE VILLAGE. As we approached you could start getting a glimpse of it sitting up on the hillside over looking the town of Titanyen.

Driving through the little town I became so over whelmed with excitement to actually be able to see the place that I have heard of for so long. We tredged up the mountainside and when we got there the first thing that I noticed was the incredible view. I did not have to even look at the structures that were on the land but just taking in the incredible view of not only the gorgeous ocean side but being able to overlook the village, shanties and people below I knew this was a place where God was going to do mighty things. As we walked the land and buildings and Jeff shared the vision that God gifted him and Alyn with I was overwhelmed with emotions. There are little fingerprints of Alyn everywhere. Jeff said one of Alyn’s wishes were to see Grace Village finished but God knew she would love the beauty of heaven just a bit more. Alyn’s memory is so much more throughout Haiti then it could ever be at any gravesite. I am so overwhelming grateful to Alyn and Jeff for being so obedient to God’s calling and for touching so many lives in return, mine, the people of Haiti and so many in the US included.

No comments:

Post a Comment